Saturday, April 04, 2009

Time's Last Gift


I came across a copy of this just a few days ago. It was an old copy with the Darrell K. Sweet cover. In the moment, I didn't connect it directly with a blog post by my friend Charles. I grabbed it because I had never read Farmer and did remember Charles posting about his recent passing. I could barely put the book down once I began reading last Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon I had finsihed. As I read, the story seemed familiar somehow and I began to suspect the main protagonist was Tarzan or at least his descendant. Farmer drops a lot of clues, but keeps it fairly subtle until the last 10 pages or so. The roller coaster reveal made me dizzy! 2/3 of the way through, Charles' blog came to mind and I sought out his old post from last year.

It's a great read if you like time travel stories. One of my favorite aspects of the story is how Farmer pretty much throws time paradox out the window at the outset.

If it happens, then it ALREADY happened. Don't worry about it.

Great stuff!

3 Comments:

Blogger Charles R. Rutledge said...

Glad you picked that one up, Lanny. Really was a great time travel story wasn't it?

April 09, 2009 12:56 PM  
Blogger Lanny said...

Yes, it really was. And I'm a sucker for time travel stuff. No matter how much they do it with Star Trek, I can't seem to get upset.

I am glad it never entered into the Star Wars universe, though.

I remember reading Tolkien once considered time travel as a plot device for a Rings sequel. That would have been just odd. Do any fragments exist of that concept?

April 09, 2009 11:01 PM  
Blogger Charles R. Rutledge said...

Not as far as I know, but considering the mount of material that Christopher Tolkien keeps digging up, you never know.

April 10, 2009 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home