Monday, January 01, 2007

a NEW year?

Well here we are. It's 2007 and I still don't have my jet pack.

As a kid growing up in the 60s and 70s I was led to believe that my adult life would be much more like a science fiction film than it has turned out to be. The advancement shown in such films as "2001: A Space Odyssey" has yet to come to pass let alone the more Buck Rogers-ish expectations of the previous generation. A generation which in turn promised MY generation flying cars and personal jet packs. Instead, I am typing into a device almost unthought of when I was a child.

I am also once again struck by the odd observance of the changing of the calendar year. Much like birthdays, New Year's Day is just another day. I think Bono said it best in the U2 song: "nothing changes, New Year's Day".

Maybe a jet pack WOULD make me feel better.

Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home